Cathedral High School was founded in 1925. Although the school is owned and administered by the Diocese of El Paso the Brothers of the Christian Schools (known in the U.S. simply as the Christian Brothers) have been involved in the school since its foundation. Until the late 1950s the faculty of the school was composed entirely of Brothers.
The school has just over 500 students, the vast majority (78%) being Hispanic; the school also draws significant numbers from Ciudad Juárez in Mexico on the opposite side of the Rio Grande. Therefore, Spanish is the language most often heard in the corridors, even among non-Hispanics.
College courses, taught at Cathedral High School in conjunction with the El Paso Community College, afford junior and senior students the opportunity to complete their first year of college while still a Cathedral student. The class of 2007 graduated with a total of 2,238 transferable college credit hours, an average of 30 hours per student. Over 90% of the school's graduates continue their education at university level.
The school considers its programs in Campus ministry, community service and religious education to be central to the incorporation of Catholic Christian spirituality into the daily lives of students.